Town Hall (1 Városház Square): the neo baroque Town Hall, one of the most well-known buildings in Győr, which was erected at the turn of the 19th century, is a defining building of Saint Stephen Road and the symbol of the town.
Baross Street: in the pedestrian precinct of the town, at number 18, there is a marble tablet on the wall and a row of red bricks in the pavement to remind us of the Fehérvári Gate (1792) and the fire-watch tower built above it that used to serve the protection of the town.
Széchenyi Square: the renovated baroque main square of Győr is an important area in the town's life.
Mária Column: the memorial standing in the middle of the square was erected in 1686 on the orders of Lipót Kollonich, bishop of Győr, to commemorate the reoccupation of Buda from the Turks.
Benedictine building complex: the Benedictine church of Saint Ignatius of Loyola, the buildings of the monastery and the grammar school were built by the Jesuits in the 17th century. After the order was suppressed, the Benedictines became the owners of the buildings. Housed in the Benedictine monastery standing on the southern side of the square, the pharmacy museum - decorated in early baroque style - is still operating in its original function.
Lloyd (7 Széchenyi Square): the multi-floor building combining characteristics of baroque and classicist styles on its street front -intended to be an inn at the end of the 15th century- gained its present-day form after the renovation completed in 2010.
The Apátúr house (Abbot Master's House) housing the János Xántus Museum (5 Széchenyi Square) was built on the orders of Benedek Sajghó, arch abbot of Pannonhalma in 1741-1742. The spectacular baroque palace has been hosting the local history museum since 1949.
Vastuskós ház (House with the iron log) (4 Széchenyi Square): according to tradition, the building received its name from the wooden log standing under its corner balcony in which apprentice tradesmen visiting Győr used to hit nails. Actually, the iron log is the trade-sign left behind by the grocer that had worked here from the 1830s.
Esterházy Palace (17 Király Street): the building gained its present form in the 18th century when small houses originating from the Middle Ages were built together. The initials of the owner, C(omes) G(abriel) E(sterházy) and his gold plated, wrought-iron coat of arms can be seen on the balcony above the gate. Today it is the seat of the Town Museum of Arts, and houses the Radnai collection and temporary exhibitions.
Jedlik Ányos Street: trade-sign of the Golden Ship: the trade-sign of the Golden Ship hangs above the entrance of the house on the corner of Dr. Kovács Pál Street. The original can be found in the János Xántus Museum; the ship hanging here, made of gold plated metal sheet, is the work of a local artist-craftsman, Bandi Schima.
Kreszta house: in the listed building originating from the 17th century the life-work exhibition of Margit Kovács, ceramicist born in Győr (1902-1977) can be seen.
Dunakapu Square: the large square hosts the busy marketplace of Győr. In the middle of the square the iron weathercock of the circular drinking fountain preserves the Turkish legend of the town. The emblem of Győr, the original iron weathercock can be seen in the János Xántus Museum.
Schwarzenberg-Pálffy statue: The statue, which was erected for the 400th anniversary of the reoccupation of Győr from the Turks, shows two generals - Adolf Schwarzenberg and Miklós Pálffy - under whose leadership the castle could be taken back from the Turks.
Sculpture of the Ark of the Covenant: one of the finest monuments of the baroque era in Győr stands on Gutenberg Square. Emperor Charles III had it erected in 1731.
Káptalandomb (Chapter Hill): Basilica: the founding of the cathedral is connected to the name of Saint Steven. First it was built in roman style in the 11th century, then after the Mongol (Tartar) invasion it was rebuilt in gothic style. After the Turkish invasion, the church was significantly damaged; one tower collapsed and the other was destroyed by a lightning. The completely demolished cathedral was rebuilt in early baroque style; the current copf style spire (a sub-branch of rococo) was made in the 1680s. The interior of the church was completed in the 1780s; the frescos that can be seen today on the walls and ceiling were painted then. The cathedral received the basilica rank from Pope John Paul 2nd in 1996. The northern side-aisle is famous for the painting entitled Weeping Blessed Virgin brought here from Ireland in 1655. It cried bloody tears on 17 March 1697, the holiday of Saint Patrick.
Héderváry Chapel: in the 15th century, János Héderváry had a chapel attached to the right side of the cathedral, which contains the mediaeval goldsmiths' masterpiece, the reliquary of Saint Ladislaus I of Hungary. The marble tomb of the martyr Bishop Vilmos Apor can be found here too.
Bishop's Castle: one of the decisive building complexes of Káptalandomb is the Bishop's Palace or Bishop's Castle, the seat of the one thousand-year-old bishopric of Győr, the gem of which is the keep built in the 13th century and the Dóczy Chapel that originates from the 15th century. The Bishop's Castle itself cannot be visited, but in the basement the exhibition depicting the life and work of Vilmos Apor can be seen.
Bécsi kapu Square: The Carmelite church and the monastery belonging to it were built between 1721 and 1725, based on the plans of the Carmelite friar, Márton Athanázius Wittwer. The painting of the high altar depicts Saint Steven and his son, Prince St. Emeric as they venerate the Blessed Virgin. The baroque Foam Mary statue stands in a niche next to the church. The former Carmelite monastery houses a hotel now.
The statue of Károly Kisfaludy: the bronze statue made by Lajos Mátrai in 1892 stands in the middle of Bécsi kapu Square.
Castle (Bécsi kapu Square): the complex of the Bishop's Castle is the oldest building of the town. It was constructed in the 14th and 15th centuries, with its origins dating back to the 13th century. Its fortress system (castle bastion, Sforza bastion) was built in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Cannons (Bécsi kapu Square): the row of decorative cannons that were brought from Vienna in the 19th century is a popular area for resting in Győr.
The statue of King St. Stephen (Bécsi kapu Square): the life-sized bronze statue of Saint Stephen, made by Ferenc Medgyessy in 1940, stands near the bank of the Rába, on the Bástya esplanade running under the castle walls.
Radó Island lies between two branches of River Rába among the town districts of Belváros (City), Újváros (New Town) and Sziget (Island). The island, with numerous historic buildings in it surroundings, is a popular place for walking, recreation, and different events.
Synagogue: the modernist synagogue was constructed between 1868 and 1870 and it was completely renovated in 2006. Nowadays it is a multicultural institution. It is the permanent location of the private collection of János Vasilescu Senior, exhibiting the Hungarian fine arts from the era after the Second World War.
The National Theatre of Győr (John Paul II Square): the southern and northern facades of the building, which was opened in 1978, are adorned with the op-art works of Victor Vasarely. Endre Szász' large pictures painted on porcelain can be seen in the theatre. The National Theatre of Győr offers a wide range of shows while it also houses the internationally renowned ballet of Győr.